- initial costs of $100 – 200 for supplies (rabbits grow up fast, so we do NOT recommend buying a cheap “starter cage”) plus $100 – 400 for a spay or neuter if your bunny hasn’t been altered?
- taking the time to “bunny-proof” your house before bringing the rabbit home, to keep bunny safe and reduce the possibility of damage to your house and possessions?
- 10 years of daily cleanup, fresh food, water and hay, exercise and attention, even if the family member who initially most wants the rabbit soon loses interest?
- $20 – 100 a month for litter, fresh vegetables, hay, pellets, toys, and other necessary items?
- 10 years of grooming and nail trims and the associated expense if you don’t want to do it yourself?
- yearly trips to the vet for well-bunny exams, with the accompanying fees, and more often if your rabbit becomes ill?
Still interested? Here is an interactive website you can visit to help you get started: http://www.makeminechocolate.org/learning.php
Remember- stuffed toys, chocolate rabbits, and baskets of colored eggs or cut flowers are perfectly appropriate gifts for the season that don’t need ongoing care. Bringing home a live animal requires a lifetime commitment to that animal- a big responsibility for anyone, and one that no child can make on his or her own. Parents are always the ultimate caretaker if a child loses interest in a pet, so make certain that the adults in the family want another animal in the household before bringing one home. No one wants to abuse, neglect, or abandon a pet! Be sure of a lifelong home before you buy or adopt!
PROVIDED BY THE SAN DIEGO HOUSE RABBIT SOCIETY.
STORY TELLING & BUNNY TOY MAKING FOR KIDS
Saturday, April 7
1 to 2:30 p.m.; FREE
Recommended for children 4 to 8 years
4805 Mercury Street, Suite C, San Diego, CA 92111. For more info or to register: email@example.com
Saturday, April 21
11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
4805 Mercury Street, Suite C, San Diego, CA 92111. $15 each or $20 per family (limit 3) Thinking of getting a rabbit companion or just got one for Easter? Learn how to properly care for a rabbit including diet, housing, litter box training and more. Supplies available for purchase.
RSVP to: firstname.lastname@example.org